Sunday, November 4, 2007

Lars and the Real Girl

I was tempted to see this movie, from the get-go. It was hard to tell the style of the movie from the previews, so I knew it would either be 100% great or 100% mediocre. Luckily for me, it was the former.

The acting and story telling are full and rich. It moves fast enough to stay a step ahead of you, but allows enough time to develop the characters. You care for everyone in movie, even Bianca (the life-sized doll).

What's nice about this movie is it allows you to laugh at the situation and not feel bad about it. You are encouraged to laugh with the characters and not at them which makes them even more endearing. It's not a shallow plot, but one with deep family and self-worth issues at its heart. I don't want to give too much away, but the ending is satisfying and the doll isn't just a gimmick for a movie. I would encourage you to see this.

A to the S grade: A
Teacher Comments: You excelled in story telling and creating lovable characters in your movie. The mood of the piece is just right. You can laugh and cry and you never take yourself too seriously. I feel that the movie would have failed without that delicate balance. Great work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was the best movie I've seen all year. I give it A++

-wes